Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Writing Tip: Describe an Object

Sometimes the solution to writer's block is as simple as describing an object. Any object.

I've said many times in this blog: look at something in your immediate vicinity. There's your ticket out of writer's block.

Just pick a random object and then describe it. Don't even invent any of it's properties. Just write what you see: the object in its most exposed, most obvious manner.

This mug at my right is white, it has a plain design, just a bunch of brown dots littered around it. It has coffee inside; steaming and black- exactly the way I want it. I wish I could take a sip, but I can't. First things first. Gotta finish this blog entry first.

The point is not to get a story or a long narrative out of this exercise; rather, it's to get you out of a rut and actually start writing and make you feel good about typing words again.

Go ahead. Give it a try. Describe an object.

No comments:

Post a Comment