Monday, February 14, 2011

Writer’s Block: Is It a Myth?


Last week, I decided to try my hand on SEO writing. I did it 6 months ago and not once did I like it. Nevertheless, since I needed some extra cash, I went ahead and applied for a writing site. I got accepted this week. I read the guidelines from the site and one particular item caught my eye:

Writer’s block is a myth. Feeling lazy is human. Take a short break if you cannot squeeze ideas out of your tired system.”

While I agree that sometimes all you need is rest for ideas to come to your “tired system,” I believe it’s not as simple as that. Writers agree that sometimes, even though you are well rested, heck, even after you have just eaten a refreshing breakfast, it’s hard to come up with ideas. Certainly, it isn't because of laziness!

I think people who say writer’s block is a myth are the kind of people who undergo a painful tooth extraction screaming and screaming, but after a few weeks when they are asked if the procedure was painful, they’ll say “No. It’s just like being bitten by an ant.”

People experience writer’s block, plain and simple. Many times people simply run out of ideas. Remember, our brains are not infinite; we can’t keep coming up with ideas all the time. Those who say they never experienced it are either very, very good writers or non-writers.

Come to think of it, everybody experiences a “block” of some sort, even scientists or mathematicians. One of the reasons could be the intelligence level of the imagination level, but surely there is an invisible factor that contributes to this “block.”

Indeed, perhaps the only myth to Writer’s block is that it’s not exclusive to writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment